Wednesday, February 15, 2012

To Sumner, on your 5th birthday

Sumner,

Last night when I tucked you into bed, I told you it was my last time putting you to bed as a 5 year old. You sat and talked about how excited you were to go to kindergarten, and laughed about how grown up you were going to be. How is it possible that my tiny 4 pound baby is so grown up?

This year has been a great one for you. You are so smart. You love to talk and can really talk people's ear off. (I know you inherited this from me!) You started reading this year...a little bit right after you turned four and now you can read very well. You remember pretty much anything you have been told, which is amazing. Your mind is like a steel trap. You like going to preschool, and daycare, but you love "Mommy Daddy days." You look forward to wearing pajamas all day and playing with your brother. When we ask you who your best friend is, you always answer "Jackson."

You've started to make real friends. You know who you like to play with and you have so many people in your life that you love. Sometimes I wonder if you ever meet someone who is not a friend. You struggled when I was in the hospital having Truman, and when I first came home, but you are really enjoying being a big brother and it is amazing to see you interact with Truman. You like to show him how to do everything. (And remember you taught him how to smile?!?)

All of the sudden, you've become so much older...we signed you up for soccer this spring...but it's not that. It's the way you carry yourself, interact with others, the things you say. You want to know how everything works, and I love that about you. You can be gullible like me, but to hear your laugh makes everyone smile. It literally lights up a room.

Happy birthday to my beautiful, smart, sweet, and caring boy. I couldn't be prouder of you if I tried. You make every day brighter and you make my heart happy. I love you.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Happy fifth birthday Sumner. You are a lucky mommy!