Monday, February 01, 2010

Now I know why they have boxes of tissues at IEP meetings

The meeting went really really well. As well as we had hoped. They listened, and because we asked for a draft copy of the IEP ahead of time, we were able to come to the table and suggest changes that they listened to and made. I left feeling very happy, and while D doesn't like to admit it, I think he felt good about it as well.

I am happy because they wrote the boys sensory needs into their IEP, and added them into their goals. They'll also both be getting OT as part of their class time. I feel like the only move from here is up.

We toured their classroom and met their teacher, who was able to sit in for part of the (3!) hour meeting. We got their harnesses for when they ride the bus to school. (Insert hyperventilating here! I am freaked out about them riding the bus, I won't lie!) We got their supply lists. I have to buy my kids their first backpack this weekend! *sob*

Overall, though long and tedious, we did make it to the other side. Thank you for the prayers today. I know they helped.

Now I have to find my inner calm and try not to fall apart when my babies go off to "school" in two weeks!

6 comments:

Esther and Brian said...

Awwwwwwww...I am sure that it will be hard to send them to school- it will be for me, I know that for sure. So glad that you are relieved about the whole meeting and how things will go from here. :)

Good luck buying their first backpacks! Hey, how about school shoes??! LOL

Linda said...

We are not far behind and I know it will be an emotional day. I'm glad you are happy with how things went. I'd love to hear more about how they are treating them while in school. Enjoy buying their backpacks!

The Lesters said...

I'm glad things went well. I'll bet they make progress by leaps and bounds once they start school. Mine will be starting fairly soon too. I'm sure I will get teary eyed as well.

Anonymous said...

Sending hugs.

Ah how cute..their first backpack!

Alana said...

Catching up...

Yay for cool gifts from Nana & Papa! Looks like a blast. :)

Super cute breakfast in bed pics. Sunday morning cuddles in bed are some of my favorite moments of the week around here.

Thrilled the IEPs turned out as you had hoped. Sending big hugs for boys at school the week before their birthday. Awesome!

Lorie said...

HI,
I just stumbled across your blog. My son has autism and Sensory Integration Disorder as well. I remember how anxious I was putting him on the bus when he was 3, but it turned out to be the best thing for him. He loved the bus, and there was no major separation at school. He rode the bus until 4th grade when he, on his own, decided he could ride in the car and go into school with his sisters; and he did! Way to stand strong and plan ahead for the IEP! My son received every service available, and my husband and I have had to be kindly insistent on some things; but it is so worth it. Follow your instincts and stand firm! God Bless!