Monday, January 25, 2010

Anxiety

On Thursday at daycare, Sumner coughed on his own phlegm (he had a cold) and spit up. What seemed to be no big deal quickly spiraled into a huge source of anxiety for him. He spent the whole weekend obsessing about going to the hospital, throwing up, ruining his clothes, and a lot of other really out there thoughts. He rehashed incidents in the last 6 months where he threw up or was sick, and even cried this morning on his way to daycare because he though he would get sick there.

Anxiety is something the psychologist brought up in the evaluation of Sumner that we just completed recently. My heart breaks. Sometimes I wonder: is it all sensory based? Could he have anxiety issues too? He is literally fixated on the fact that he might be sick again, and cannot stop worrying about it. It breaks my heart and I don't know what to do.

As a child, I can remember going to the school psychologist to talk about my worries. I worried about everything, and I had picked a hole in the wallpaper of my bedroom and I told it all my worries. Maybe Sumner takes after me and got some of my worry? I have never had an anxiety attack, or full blown panic, but I definitely worry more than the average person.

Have any of the moms out there had a child diagnosed with anxiety issues? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

Annie said...

I don't have any advice for you but want to let you know that I'm always here and everything is going to be fine.

Take care.

Esther and Brian said...

I do not know about my boys yet...but very sorry to hear this about Sumner. I have anxiety, too, and worry a lot more than the average Mom...hope that you get some answers and all will be all right with the little boy...

Sarah Dee said...

No experience (at least not yet). Just wanted to send along hugs and calming thoughts to you both.