Sunday, February 15, 2009

To Jackson, on his second birthday

Dear Jack,

From the moment you came out, you were a fighter. To think about you almost not making it kills me, but I can still see you in your incubator, flailing around. Once, when the neonatologist was doing rounds, we asked about having your nasal cannula that supplied extra oxygen removed. He told us you needed it, but when he looked closer, you had pulled it out of your nose, and put it in your mouth. He laughed so hard and said "I guess he doesn't want OR need it!"

When you came home, you had such a hard time, reflux killed all of us, but you were such a good baby. A skinny mini from almost the first week. We spent a lot of time worrying about you.

Now you are two. How could I have ever imagined the toddler you have become? You are SO polite, always thanking people, saying please, blowing kisses, giving hugs, and taking care of others. You love to take care of baby Arden, and your brother. Sometimes I see so much of myself in you, it scares me. You are so feisty. Always doing something ornery. Throwing food, watching to see if we are noticing the thing you are on the verge of testing the limits with.

You are so sweet. You attach yourself into the heart of everyone you meet. After a few days with you, you have caregivers, doctors, friends and family wrapped around your finger. You have such a wise look to you, and you're always thinking. You love to run, jump, spin. You keep me busy, and on my toes. You love to sing, and to color. You beg to get out the markers. You love people, phones, remotes, keys, elmo, your blankie, and acting like you are very grown up. You are such a helper. You always want to unload the dishwasher, put the toys in the bath, or pick up. You love your daddy and you love to wrestle with him and carry tools like him.

You love your brother and call him "Munnny." After your surgery last Tuesday, it's starting to sound more like "Summy" every day.

Your smile lights up a room. You love to be tickled. People you meet, even strangers call you "Jackie" and feel an immediate bond with you.

I couldn't be prouder to be your mother today, on your second birthday.

love, mommy.

8 comments:

Annie said...

I love their letters. BTW, they look handsome in their 2 years old pictures.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

happy 2nd birthday jack!

(what a beautiful letter)

Allison said...

Those letters are both beautiful! What a great keepsake for when the boys are grown.

Happy birthday, Jack!

Souza Sisters said...

Happy Birthday Jack (a day late)!! I hope you had a great day:)

BTW I LOVE the 2 pix you posted below. Your boys have the most beautiful blue eyes...

Julie said...

Oh my goodness, both letter and Leah's pictures made me cry! You have done SUCH a wonderful job as their mommy.

Happy birthday boys!

Cheryl Lage said...

Simply beautiful. Happy, happy birthday.

BuckeyeBundle said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Jack!
M-this letter is so touching too. I love the details you used in both letters. Just awesome! You're such a great mom!

crrv said...

Happy birthday Jack! Great letter.