Thursday, May 03, 2012

can I have your attention, please?

We just got back from Jack's neuropsych appointment. After a lot of testing, Jack was diagnosed with:

Developmental Coordination Disorder
ADHD (inattentive subtype) with sluggish cognitive tempo
Hypertonia (low muscle tone)

Along with his previous diagnosis of SPD. Jack is an alphabet soup.

We discussed medication. I will not lie, it scares the crap out of me. I have seen children on meds who look like zombies. They obsess. Plus, he explained that a side effect can be loss of appetite. Jack doesn't have any weight to lose. So I am still digesting, and I am hoping that I will know what to do about medicating or not medicating. I just love Jack and I want to help him to be able to be the best kid he can be. I also want him to be able to focus and learn in school. Medication scares me.

Anyone out there have advice or thoughts about meds?

On a side note, he felt much of this was from the traumatic birth.

1 comment:

Kara said...

You know, as a teacher, that different meds do different things to different kids. And that if you do decide to try the meds, and you find that one makes Jack sluggish and zombie-like, you can change to something else until you find the right one. Just because one makes him sluggish, doesn't mean you have to stick with it for always.

Hugs to you - it's a big decision to make! Hang in there, friend!!