Thursday, December 22, 2011

delivery story

I am recording this here as much for myself as to be able to start to comprehend what exactly happened.

Truman Oliver was born 12/13 at 6:45 a.m. and weighed 7 lbs even and was 20" even!

I started having contractions at 4:30 a.m. on the 12th. They were 10 minutes apart and very short, so I stayed home from work and timed them, called my OB around 10 a.m. and drank water and got them to slow to about every 45 min. By evening they had ramped back up and around 9 p.m. I called my mom to come up: they were every 5 minutes and I was in a ton of pain.

I got to the hospital around 10 p.m. In triage they hooked me up to the monitors and we saw contractions, but I was writhing and screaming...and they kept checking me and I was not dilated at all. They had me walk but the nurses felt so bad for me in L+D they sent me back. They gave me some pain meds and the contractions slowed, but still kept up. Around 5 a.m. they decided to do a C section Of course, my OB wasn't on call, or able to come, she was on vacation.

We went to the OR and they did the spinal. I was scared out of my mind, honestly, and in so much pain...all the pain meds they had given me were long worn off. DH came in, and surgery started.

When they opened me up the OB kinda gasped and told me the surgery was going to be difficult. I had tons of scar tissue and adhesions all over my uterus and organs. Truman was born at 6:45 but overall the surgery took 2 1/2 hours. It was very frightening and they had to call in more OBs and at one point had 4 working on me. My spinal wore off towards the end and they had to dope me up with some other anesthesia. I "came to" in recovery and they had taken Truman, DH was there, and then went to be with him. I am thankful this time I got to be awake when he was born and see him for quite a bit.

Truman is very healthy. Everything is great with him, he is a super easy baby. The OB who did the surgery refused to talk to me afterwards...she was on call and it was the end of the shift and I think she was afraid to. My OB plans to go over what happened with me when I see her next in a few weeks, but she also told me in the hospital she doesn't know if we can ever have more kids. They had to "reconstruct my insides" is what she told me in the hospital. Recovery has been awful and I had additional x-rays done on Tues, but they came back good, which is great. Unfortunately, I am having issues going to the bathroom so my next step is a GI doc.

I know it sounds crazy, but DH and I had talked about a 4th. (If I could get PG again...) I have no idea how I got PG this time: all the IUIs failed and I got PG with Truman naturally somehow...and now knowing what I know that seems even more impossible. I now know the contractions hurt so bad because my uterus was adhered to my abdomen. I also know this is why I was in so much pain at 6w when we went to the ER and they thought I was losing the pregnancy. I am thankful that I am OK, especially considering how much worse it could have been.

Thank you for all the well-wishes. It's going to be a long road to recovery and I know I am nuts to be mourning the possibility of not having any more, but I am thankful for what I have, for sure.


Allison said...

((HUGS)) I hope you can get some more answers and you're on the way to recovery very soon. Try to take it easy over the holidays so you can recover ((HUGS)) Let me know if there's anything I can do for you!

Em said...

Sending hugs and hopes that your recovery starts getting smoother soon. It sounds like a very scary situation with so much unexpected stuff in addition to the c-section. Hope your OB and the GI doc can give you some more answers.

I think it's entirely natural to grieve the loss of the idea of more kids while still being thankful for the ones that you have. We'd originally talked about having 3 but due to several factors, we are likely stopping at 2, and that makes me kind of sad, even though I know it makes the most sense for our family.

Glad that Truman is doing well - such a neat name!

Sarah Dee said...


What a tangle of emotions.